- Landline: 02392 822 466
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.queenshotelportsmouth.com/
- Posted on in Accommodation
The original Queen’s hotel was known as Southsea House and was built by the architect Augustus Livesay, in 1861.
It was then a large private house owned by Sir John and Lady Morris and was later transformed into one of the first hotels in Southsea by William Kemp Junior, this is when it became known as the Queen’s Hotel.
In the late 18th century the Queen’s Hotel had a yacht club that stood behind it called the Royal Albert and was also surrounded by woods, which were then called Stone Woods.
On December 8th 1891 in the early hours of the Sunday morning a disastrous and fatal fire occurred.
Aided by strong winds it raged until the whole of the premises had been completely gutted.
The Hotel was rebuilt in 1903 by the architect T.W.Cutler into the splendid building that stands today, complete with its Edwardian baroque style in brown terracotta.